The point to Nanowrimo is to write a 50k word novel in just a month.
And ever since I discovered Nano way back in 2003, I have done my best to actually complete the task. And, some day, I hope to actually make it to the December revisions…
I look back at why I ‘failed’ each time I tried. I failed the first time because, experienced mother that I was, I wasn’t an expired writer mother. I don’t think that I even had a blog at the time…
I failed in 2004 because I went from a full time working mother to a full time stay at home mother and had to battle feathers (long story, actually won me a book once. I’ll have to tell it to you some time).
I can’t remember why I failed in 2005. I think I got bored with my novel.
I took 2006 off, and tried again in 2007, 2008 and 2009. Thought about doing it last year, but didn’t remember until halfway through the month of November and besides, that’s also when I was dealing with the pre-separation ‘what the fuck is wrong with me that my marriage is failing’ bullshit. This year, though, I am determined to win. Here’s my strategy…
- I’m giving up sleep for the month. Sleep is overrated. I’ll survive on Starbucks Mocha Mint frappucinos and hope that I don’t start hallucinating.
- I’ll get the boys’ homework for the month of November from their teachers now, and do all the work myself. Then, if they have a question, I can just point to the homework that I completed and say ‘There’s the answer.’
- Peanut butter and jelly and potato chips for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- I’m going to make a laptop tray for work. Like those things that the beer vendors use at baseball games, only mine will hold my laptop, my Starbucks Mocha Mint frappucino, some extra hangers (for work), and a huge sign reading ‘writing in progress, do not disturb.’
- I’m going to skip bathing. I’m sorry.
- I’m setting up shop in the bathroom. Why get up when I can just type away from the toilet?
- I’m getting the laptop tray for the car. Cause that just makes sense.
- I’m going to communicate via text message… but only at 8am and 8pm. And only for 15 minutes. Then it’s back to writing.
- I’m contacting the networks and asking that they show ONLY reruns in November.
- Thanksgiving is cancelled.
- So is Black Friday.